Dogs & Alcohol

Dogs & Alcohol

We all know that some dogs love to beg for food (this is a training opportunity by the way!).  Imagine if your dog encountered alcohol.  You should be aware of the impact as this is a common occurrence.  You are probably wondering how much alcohol is too much and/or if some alcohols are more dangerous than others.  We are here to help!

If your dog accidentally consumes alcohol, it is hard to know whether the amount consumed is at dangerous levels.  The health and weight of the dog in relation to their breed are both variables to consider.  For example, smaller breeds who encounter alcohol may be subject to more risk compared to larger breeds.  One of the most important factors to note is: the amount of ethanol needed to cause intoxication varies depending on its concentration in the substance ingested.   The published oral lethal dose in dogs is 5.5 to 7.9g/kg of 100% ethanol.

Dogs may be more attracted to cocktails and ciders more than anything.  With, another serious consideration is mixers which contain Xylitol, an artificial sweetener that is highly dangerous if consumed by a dog.  There are many signs of alcohol toxicity in dogs.

– depression
– incoordination
– vomiting
– weakness
– decreased respiratory rate
– hypothermia

As you can see, all these symptoms are major and should be taken seriously.  We highly encourage you to seek veterinarian advice if your dog encounters alcohol.