Are you looking for some extra motivation to get your run in? Your dog just may be your ideal workout buddy! Just think…you’d get to spend more time with your pup while burning excess energy. Consider it a win-win! However, you’ll need to train your dog to run with you first. We’re here to help you with some tips on how to get started!
- Try it out first! Depending on the breed, weight and such, not all dogs are suitable to run!
2. Check in with your Vet. If you are concerned with any potential red flags, your Vet will let you know.
3. Start out slow. It’s not a good idea to run a lot of miles off the bad. We suggest that you use a training plan and work your way up in distance.
4. Trails are a good option! Running on trails may be better for your dog’s joints. Always remember to use extreme caution when running on asphalt. It may be too hot for their paws.
5. Teach some basic obedience. Don’t allow your dog to pull you. You will need to train your dog to stay by your side.
6. Hydration! This is super important. Bring along a bottle of water and a collapsible bowl and take frequent water breaks.
7. HAVE FUN!!! Once your pup has learned the basics of running, you’ve earned yourself a workout buddy!