As a pet parent, you must be smart and proactive! Here are 5 tips for helping your pet maintain their body temperature and avoid heat stroke:
- NEVER leave your pet in a parked car, even if you are only gone for a short amount of time. The temperature inside a car can get extremely hot within minutes, even reaching over 140 degrees. Just think, that “quick” errand can harm your pet in more ways than one!
- Allow your dog to run through a sprinkler, take a dip in the pool or even get sprayed by the hose! This will help bring body temperatures down.
- Always remember that surfaces like asphalt and cement are extremely hot to the dog’s paws. Walking your dog on a hot surface such as this will increase body temperature. Try walking your dog in a shaded area!
- Always, always, always have fresh water available for your pet. This will keep the dog hydrated which will lessen the likelihood of heat stroke.
- Grooming your dog according to the weather will help prevent overheating.
Tuesday’s Treat: Almond Banana Dog Treats
Just like humans, dogs get tired of the same old treats. Check back every Tuesday where we feature a new and exciting dog treat recipe. This week, we introduce Almond Banana Dog Treats. What’s great about this recipe is that it’s super simple to make – only 4 ingredients!
What you’ll need is one egg, ¾ cup unsalted almond butter, 1/3 banana and a teaspoon of cinnamon. Mix the ingredients, roll into individual treats, and place in the oven at 350 degrees for 7-10 minutes. It’s that easy! Your dog will love you and your kitchen will smell amazing too.