Help! My Dog Ate Chocolate

Help! My Dog Ate Chocolate

Chocolate is truly toxic to dogs.  You will need to watch out for symptoms, especially if they require an immediate trip to the veterinarian.  In this article, we will explain the signs of chocolate toxicity, how to respond to it, and preventative tips.

Signs of chocolate toxicity in dogs include the following:

  • High heart rate – This is a severe symptom which can lead to cardiac arrest, especially in senior dogs.  It may be a challenge to monitor your dog’s heart rate at home, but if you notice any signs of elevation, please take them to the veterinarian immediately.


  • Vomiting and diarrhea – Your dog’s body will be working in overdrive to get rid of this toxin.


  • Excessive thirst and urination – Diuretics such as caffeine and theobromine are found in chocolate.  Dogs will show excessive thirst and urination if chocolate is consumed.


  • Restlessness – Similar to humans, caffeine will cause dogs to behave restlessly.  Keep in mind that darker chocolates have a higher amount of caffeine.


  • Seizures – This is probably one of the most extreme symptoms of chocolate consumption.  This may only occur if your dog ingests a large quantity.

If you know or think that your dog has consume chocolate, please call the emergency veterinarian right away.  There are many ways in which you can prevent chocolate toxicity in your four-legged friend.  Pay close attention to where you are storing the chocolate.  Do not place it in an easy to access area.  You can also train your pet the “leave it” command.  This will prevent them from grabbing things that they shouldn’t.  As always, prevention is key!