Have you ever told yourself, “I need a dog!” or “A dog would be fun!”? If so, you must realize the responsibilities that are required to be a #1 pet parent! It’s very important to know that you are fully capable of taking good care of a potential dog before you bring it into the family. Unfortunately, so many animals are adopted and later neglected by their owners because they weren’t aware of the involved commitment. Adopting an animal is a huge step!
Below is a list of important aspects to note.
- A dog will become part of the family. Will your lifestyle be suitable enough for dog ownership? Keep in mind that they will become part of the “pack” and will want to be included in many family activities.
- Happy life. Are you capable of giving a dog the best home possible? Take a deeper dive into your environment. Would it be suitable for a dog? Example, a tiny studio apartment may not be as ideal as a house with a fenced-in backyard. Also, how often will you be away from the dog? If you work 12 hour shifts, you may want to reconsider.
- It’s a long-term commitment! Dogs (especially puppies) require commitment and dedication during the course of their entire life. Your dog must always be exercised, fed and given attention daily. These are the bare minimums!
- Affordability. Many people do not understand the costs associated with a pet. Here are some things that you will need to pay for:
- food and treats
- veterinarian care
- and so much more!
- Family decision. Have you discussed owning a dog with your family? It is very important that anyone who you are living with is involved in the decision to own a pet. Just because you are fine with the commitment doesn’t mean everyone else will be!
So, do you think that you are ready to own a dog? If not, don’t lose faith! As a dog lover, you will understand the importance of owning a dog and making their health and happiness is a priority! Once your circumstances have changed, we can assist you along the journey.