Counter surfing is when your dog likes to scan the counter and tries to steal anything that they can get their paws on. Don’t be discouraged if this happens to you! We are here to help with tips on how to prevent your dog from counter surfing and stealing food.
- Place a small piece of food on the counter and cover it with your hand. Your goal is to get your dog to ignore the treat on the counter. If they do, praise, and reward them with a different treat (not on the counter).
- Now it is time to uncover the treat on the counter.
- Add distance between yourself and the teaser treat on the counter.
- Increase the amount of time your dog must wait before you praise them for not getting the treat from the counter. Stay close while you practice first.
- Try adding additional treats to the counter and see if your dog tries to get them.
- Practice turning your back and/or completely going out of sight.
- Once your dog masters all these steps, they should be good to go!
- Keep in mind that you will need to reward your dog once you are using this behavior in “real life”.