Dogs & Candy – It’s Not the Best Combination!
Pet owners worldwide believe their dogs can eat anything and everything a person does. We are here to tell you that this is false news. Today we will speak about dogs and candy consumption. Dogs should not eat candy at all. Not only is candy high in sugar, but it contains dangerous ingredients such as nuts, chocolate, and the dreaded xylitol. Continue reading on to learn why candy is toxic to pets.
There are many reasons why your pet should not consume candy. Keep in mind that even small portions of candy can still cause significant health issues, which include:
- Elevated blood pressure. Did you know that certain candies contain caffeine? Think about the chocolate and coffee-flavored sweets. Caffeine can raise your dog’s blood pressure, which can be extremely dangerous.
- Chocolate toxicity. Dogs should not eat anything that contains chocolate. Chocolate contains two ingredients that are toxic to dogs: theobromine and caffeine. Chocolate toxicity yields symptoms such as blood pressure issues, increased urination, seizures, and digestive issues.
- Weight gain. Sugar, sugar, and more sugar! Need we say more? The amount of sugar in candy can lead to long-term issues like obesity for your four-legged friend.
- Xylitol poisoning. Sugar-free candies typically contain xylitol which can be life-threatening to dogs. It can cause hypoglycemia, pancreatitis, or liver failure.
As you can see, candy is undoubtedly toxic to our four-legged friends. So, the next time you try to give your pup a piece of candy, please think twice. Your dog’s health should be one of your main priorities; feeding them candy will not yield good health.