5 Reasons to Give Your Dog Probiotics
Gastrointestinal health is essential for our overall well-being. Did you know that our guts are filled with good and bad bacteria that can influence our overall health and how we feel daily? The same goes for our four-legged friends. It is crucial to have healthy bacteria balance in our GI tracts. Therefore, dogs can benefit from probiotics too. This article will outline five reasons why probiotics may help dogs.
- Decreases the side effects of antibiotics. Antibiotics may be excellent at fighting off infections, but while at work, your dog may experience side effects such as diarrhea. Probiotics may help your dog prevent unpleasant side effects during antibiotic treatment.
- Alleviates digestive issues due to stress or illness. The balance between healthy and illness-causing microbes can be disrupted when your dog is stressed or sick. Probiotics can reduce the duration of symptoms by a few days.
- Helps senior dogs stay healthy. Unfortunately, older dogs have weakened immune systems. The majority of immune cells live in the gut. With this said, probiotics can help provide “good” bacteria, making them healthier.
- Reduces skin allergy symptoms. Research shows that allergies may be caused by an imbalance of bacteria in the gut. Dog probiotics may lessen skin allergy symptoms.
- Aids in better skin, coat, and breath. Healthy bacteria in the gut can benefit many areas of the body. Dog probiotics can yield better skin, fur, and breath.
These are just a few reasons we believe probiotics are a great addition to your dog’s daily regimen. As always, speak with your veterinarian before adding anything new to your dog’s daily routine. Your vet may recommend certain probiotics that will benefit your four-legged friend best.