Tug-of-War is one of the most common canine games on the planet. However, sometimes it receives a bad reputation. We recommend that you dismiss all bad comments about this activity and give it a try. You may find that it yields some great benefits along the way. Abiding by the following rules will teach your dog right from wrong while yielding a calorie burning exercise!
- As the owner, you will be the only one to initiate tug play. Avoid allowing your dog to “demand” tug time.
- You are responsible for choosing a suitable tug toy which offers good grips for your hands and your dog’s jaws.
- Enforce the “drop it” command when necessary.
- Remain upbeat and have fun with it. Do not allow your dog to growl. This is NOT an aggressive activity!
- Win the tug-of-war most of the time. This will allow your dog to respect you as the alpha.
- Congratulate your dog on your dog’s tugging abilities. Be sure to stash away the toy until the next session.
These rules can teach your dog the right and fun way to play tug-of-war while creating a strong bond. What are you waiting for? Have fun with it!