Onions can cause more damage to your dog than just bad breath. Oddly enough, it contains a toxin that can cause serious complications for our fur babies. Please advise that ALL parts of the onion plant are toxic to dogs. This includes flesh, leaves, processed powders and juices.
Onion powder is an extremely popular spice in foods. It only takes 100 grams of onion per 20 kilograms of a dog’s weight to cause harmful effects. There are many symptoms to look out for if you feel that your dog may have eaten onions. Lethargy, decreased appetite, fainting and reddish urine are amongst the most common.
The most important thing that pet owners can do to treat and prevent onion toxicity is to never allow your dog to eat onions. It is a strong possibility that you will need to seek veterinary care if your dog is suffering from toxic effects. In severe cases, your dog may require a blood transfusion. This is something that all pet owners should not take lightly!