Marijuana Poisoning in Dogs 

Marijuana Poisoning in Dogs 

Unfortunately, the number of cases of marijuana intoxication in dogs has risen dramatically in recent decades. It is rarely fatal. However, it may bring along some worrying symptoms, and you should always seek veterinary advice if you suspect your dog has ingested this drug.

You may be wondering why there has been an increase in cases. In 1996, California became the first state to legalize cannabis use for medicinal purposes. More and more states have taken the same approach. Due to the drug’s increased accessibility, there has been a significant increase in the reports of dogs suffering from marijuana toxicosis.

Let’s talk about marijuana toxicity exposure. This can occur because users often mix the drug into palatable baked goods. This can be a problem if a dog ingests the food. Dogs can also suffer poisoning from eating any part of the actual plant (seeds, stems, flowers, and leaves) or smoke inhalation. It is important to know the symptoms that come along with marijuana poisoning in dogs:

  • Dilated pupils
  • Dull and lethargic
  • Vomiting
  • Tremors and shaking
  • Urinary incontinence
  • Agitation

Treatment can vary depending on the severity of the symptoms presented. Some dogs may be able to get treated as outpatients at home, while others will require hospitalization. The good thing is that with proper treatment, dogs will usually recover fully within one to two days. Regardless of how your dog’s marijuana ingestion occurs, you should always seek veterinary advice.